Monday, March 24, 2008

"the most ubiquitous of all typefaces"


So in Boston I got to see the much anticipated 50 Years of Helvetica exhibit at New York's MoMA! (Yes, I used an exclaimation point and I never use those silly puctuation marks.)

Actually, it was much more glamorous in my head and much more like a corner in a huge museum in reality. But it was a fine tribute to a revolutionary factor in modern design nonetheless.

It had a wall (printed in Helvetica obviously) explaining the exhibit. You can find the same info here.

There were subway signs, Beattles T-shirts and Swedish posters all printed in Helvetica, and a full set of led Helvetica typeset.

The photo is all the people crowding around to see it. Also, "Helvetica" the movie was playing silently on a flatscreen. The giftshop was sold out of the film, but apparently it's available at Barnes & Noble now. I'll pick it up next time I'm there -- expect a full review.

No comments: