Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Long live print ... ?

Small circ magazines No Depression and Resonance are have announced they will fold under financial pressures.

It seems newspapers aren't the only ones feeling the pinch in the day of the Internet.

Ed Ward, Berlin Bites blogger, and magazine writer wrote last week about the two small magazines and, in part blames a restructuing of the second-class postage system approved last year:
"The new rates, though, were bizarre: the more magazines you shipped, the less each unit cost, and smaller-circulation magazines were burdened with unreasonably higher per-unit costs, instead of everyone paying the same rate. But that's what happens when you allow big business to write the laws."
Although I've never heard of these publications, I subscribe to a couple hardly known periodicals myself. And it doesn't look good for my seldom-discussed hope to one day start up a magazine of my own ...

No comments: